I realize there are mixed feelings about personality tests.
Regardless of whether or not they accurately describe you and me, I’ve found them to be a unique writer’s tool that makes character development come alive.
I took the 16 personalities test (based on the widely-known Myers-Briggs theory) on behalf of Louise Stella, the protagonist of Isolated and its sequels. This is her personality profile according to this particular test:
Unless you’re familiar with this test, the above snapshot might not mean much. So if you would like to embark on this little journey with me, I thought it could be fun to explore the various terms and definitions of given by the people behind 16 Personalities and see whether or not they accurately describe Louise.
Let’s skip down to the first of the five bars – the one that reads “Introverted.”
Louise’s profile says she’s 78% introverted and 22% extroverted.
Here’s what the official website has to say about introverted individuals:
Let’s consider a couple of practical examples. Our research shows that Introverts are significantly more likely to report being sensitive to noise and bright colors, and they also strongly prefer simplicity and minimalism in their environment (especially if their Introversion is coupled with the Thinking trait). Likewise, they do not seek or require much external stimulation – while communicating with other people is the most obvious example of such stimulation, this concept also extends to things like hobbies, political attitudes and even eating or drinking habits. For instance, Introverts are more likely to dislike coffee and energy drinks.
Okay. Let’s see how Louise measures up.
- Yes, she’s sensitive to noise. She’s not necessarily sensitive to bright colors, though she is sensitive to too many colors (bright or otherwise), busy patterns, and visual clutter. Her favorite types of colors are pastels.
- Yes, she prefers simplicity and minimalism in her environment. Everything must have its place.
- True, she doesn’t seek or require much external stimulation. This is very apparent in her life with regards to communication. She doesn’t seek out various hobbies (she’s a rather devout reader) and she doesn’t follow politics (or pop culture). Sometimes she wonders, but in the end, she’s quite content in her own world.
- It’s also true that Louise dislikes coffee, and she just never got into energy drinks as she’s never been around them. Her favorite “special” drink is lemonade, but she’s quite content with fresh, cold water (topped with ice).
You can read the rest of the information about introversion and extroversion according to this model here.
- Are you into personality tests? Where do you stand on them?
- Did you read the full page on introversion and extroversion? You may have noticed that they explain things without God in the picture. How does the presence of God in life relate to introversion and extroversion?
- Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
- What’s your favorite drink?